What Is Master Data?
Master Data is non-transactional data that is key to the business of your organization.
There are three main domains to be considered for Master Data Management: Party, Location and Object.
Party is any natural or legal person whose data is processed by your organisation.
A party can take multiple roles e.g. be a customer and a supplier.
Location is a physical or virtual place whose data is processed by your organisation. Traditional examples are Postal Address, Phone Number.
When including social media and
more recent ways of communication, you may want to consider e.g. Twitter Handle, LinkedIn Account, Skype Id as (virtual) locations.
Object is any tangible or non-tangible entity whose data is processed by your organisation. As opposed to Party and Location,
the range of sub-domains for Object varies from industry to industry. Typical examples are Product, Service, Material, Item, Part, Store, Machine, Tool.
Party and Object describe your organization's operational assets, considering that Customer is the largest populated subdomain of Party and that
Product / Service is the largest populated subdomain of Object. Moreover, Party, Location and Object (combined with Time) constitute the 4 primary dimensions needed for
your organization's Business Intelligence (BI), (as a typical BI question is e.g.:
How many Products abc were sold to Customer target group xyz in Location qaz during the last quarter?)
Since any organization depends on its assets and derives its decisions from its Business Intelligence, Master Data is the most important, i.e. the most
How SILVERRUN Helps Organizations to Develop a Solid Master Data Management Concept
SILVERRUN leverages the modeling functionality to
- Document the models of the existing Master Data sources incl.
- Capture structure of source and characteristics (type, length, domain values, nullability etc.) of each column (e.g. through reverse engineering)
- Assign semantics to each entity and attribute
- Define the model of the target database
- Integrate the source models into a draft of the Master Data's target structure
- Derive a sustainable logical model of the Master Data's target structure based on an organization-wide synchronized understanding of the semantics
- Derive the physical model of the Master Data's target structure based on the chosen architecture style (Consolidated, Registry, Coexistence or Transaction)
- Keep track of the lineage between source columns and target columns
- Define the mapping from source columns to target columns (ETL process)
SILVERRUN supports all multi-level modeling features (integration, propagation, lineage, common items) necessary to convert a siloed application structure
to an integrated Enterprise Data Architecture,
thus avoiding future disruptions in the organization's application landscape. In particular, SILVERRUN delivers the indispensable blueprint
for any organization's Master Data Management.